Join our team in Queen Charlotte & Gwaii Haanas
Green Coast Shop Manager
Green Coast Kayaking has a new office space and storefront in downtown Queen Charlotte, where it offers bike, paddle board and kayak rentals along with guided day tours. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual to manage this shop during our first summer of expanded operations. There will also be opportunity to guide various trips for applicants with the appropriate qualifications. Specific duties will involve:
- Managing inquiries, reservations and payments;
- Organizing necessary equipment for each day’s activities, and cleaning used equipment;
- Preparing clients with necessary information on equipment usage, areas to visit and company policies;
- Greeting visitors and providing information about the company and the area;
- Managing a small storefront.
- Guiding different styles of tours (hike, bike, kayak, van).
The successful candidate will work Green Coast staff and will report to Joseph Crawford and Bryce Klee, the owner of GCK. As this is our first summer in operation, there will be room to help develop operations and systems that will ensure smooth functioning.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualities and qualifications:
- Outgoing and enthusiastic;
- Creative and innovative, with exceptional attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision;
- Familiarity with Haida Gwaii, and southern Graham Island in particular;
- Passion for kayaking, biking and general outdoor adventure;
- Past experience with tourism industry administration is an asset.
- Class 4 driver’s license (for applicants interested in guiding)
- Wilderness First Responder (for applicants interested in guiding)
- Assistant Overnight Guide – sea kayaking – (for applicants interested in guiding)
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
This is a seasonal position, running from July 3rd – September 15th
Hourly wage based on experience.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover-letter to Bryce and Joe at email@example.com by Friday, June 30th.
Gwaii Haanas Kayak Expedition Positions
Love the wilderness? And kayaking? And people? We're always looking to build our team of Lead, Assistant and Apprentice kayak guides and would love to learn more about you. If your experiences and qualifications fit with one of the positions below, e-mail us your cover letter and resume so we can begin a conversation. We accept applications on an ongoing basis.
Assistant Kayak Guides must hold valid certification from either the ACSKG or the SKABC. Preference is given to candidates who reside in, or are familiar, with Haida Gwaii and/or coastal British Columbia.
Assistant Guides should expect to guide numerous consecutive trips with breaks in between.
Curious about the world of kayak guiding? This is an amazing way to gain experience before/while pursuing formal credentials. We highly encourage Haida Gwaii residents to apply for this position.
Apprentice Guides are accepted for one trip at a time. There are some opportunities to apprentice on multiple consecutive trips.
TRAINING OPPORTUNITY ON HAIDA GWAII: Become an Assistant Guide in May 2017!
North Coast Guide Training will be offering a 7-day Sea Kayak Leadership Course on Haida Gwaii from May 1 - 7, 2017. This is an opportunity for you to become certified as an Assistant Kayak Guide through the ACSKG. No paddling experience is necessary, however you should have a high level of physical fitness and some exposure to sea kayaking. The course will be taught by Barrett Johnson and assisted by Joanne Hager (the former owner of GCK!).
Course cost is $1300 and a $300 deposit is due on April 1st. Haida Gwaii residents may be eligible for supportive funding through Gwaii Trust's Continuing Education Program.
Interested? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.