Green Coast Kayaking is a local company offering guided wilderness expeditions that connect our guests with the people, land, and sea of Haida Gwaii. We specialize in multi-day sea kayak trips within Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve and Haida Heritage Site, and now offer a range of adventure services.
Gwaii Haanas Expeditions
The heart and soul of Green Coast Kayaking has always been our week long guided trips into the mystical Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve and Haida Heritage Site. Communal living, respect for nature, and education define our way of being.
Bike & Kayak Rentals
We are excited to announce that we have expanded our fleet to include kayak and bike rentals out of Queen Charlotte. If you haven't got time for a full Gwaii Haanas expedition, this is the perfect way to explore the nearby wilderness.
our company & home
We are the only kayak expedition operator that is based out of Haida Gwaii full time, and we are proud to show people our home. All our operations are guided by a sense of community, environmental responsibility and education.
What Our Guests Have Been Saying
A few Adventures to choose from
Southern Gwaii Haanas: June 21 - 28
This iconic route within southern Gwaii Haanas travels through both protected and exposed waters – Pacific to the Hecate - providing a totally dynamic paddling experience. Trip highlights include:
- Paddling through the mist to the UNESCO World Heritage Site - SGang Gwaay – to see the incredible standing totem poles and meet with Haida Watchmen
- Catch a glimpse of the rare Pacific Puffin who nests on the rocky islands surrounding SGang Gwaay
- Watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean from many of the stunning beaches we call home for the night
Its hard to beat the experience of paddling into the ancient village of SGang Gwaay much like the Haida would have done a hundred years ago.
Northern Gwaii Haanas: July 23 - 30
The right place at the right time – observe migrating whales and sea birds at the peak of their numbers while paddling between ancient Haida Villages. Trip highlights include:
- Great opportunities to observe sea birds and marine mammals along the rugged coast of the Hecate Straight and through Juan Perez Sound
- Visit the ancient village site of T’aanuu Llnagaay (Tanu) where thick moss reclaims cedar poles once used for long houses and totems
- Experience the warm welcome of Hlk’yah GawGa (Windy Bay), where visitors have the option to sleep in a traditional Haida long house and walk amongs giant Sitka Spruce trees
- Rejuvenate yourself in the natural hot baths of Gandll K’in Gwaay.yaay (Hotspring Island), which are newly renovated in 2017 after a previous earth-quake disturbed the flow
Central Gwaii Haanas: July 30 - August 6
This trip paddles north along the east coast of Moresby Island, into the sheltered waters of Skincuttle Inlet and Burnaby Narrows, and then across Juan perez Sound to Gandll K’in Gwaay.yaay (Hotspring Island). Trip highlights include:
- Experience a variety of paddling conditions and natural environments as we pass through different regions of central Gwaii Haanas
- Paddle across Juan Perez Sound which frequently attracts Humpback Whales and other cetaceans (last year hundreds of Risso’s Dolphins gathered in this stretch of water)
- Reward yourself with a soak in the hot pools of Gandll K’in Gwaay.yaay (Hotspring Island) at the end of our journey
- Good opportunities for viewing the unique sub-species of Black Bear native to Haida Gwaii with its massive head adapted for feeding on intertidal life
- Eat what you catch after fishing with hand-lines from the kayaks